As I sit here thinking about how we can save the newspaper industry, I can't help think of our connected communities project. At one point in time, newspapers were the thread that held communities together—they were an institution, and the loudest voice of the people. Now they are in serious trouble and it makes me sad.
What's happening to us? Why do most of us spend hours in front of an electronic box just to race home and stare at another (sometimes the same) electronic box? Isn't that madness? Don't people want to talk to others (not "chat") or share with others (not "facebook") or go on dates (not match.com) or spend time with their friends/family (not "skype")? We can't turn everything into a computerized world, can we? Hell, even playing cards has moved online. When I was younger, I used to play cards with my grandparents and great aunt, listening to stories about them playing cards with friends, and waiting for the day when I could follow suit (pun!). Now it appears that I'll have to get myself a credit card and a account number to do so. Sounds, um, great?
We need to come together. Our team has proposed the installment of a town social coordinator. To be honest, it started as somewhat of a jokey idea, but the more I think of it, the more it makes sense. If towns hosted regular events (and here's the catch, they need to support the local economy as much as possible) where friends and family and neighbors and strangers could gather, wouldn't that help things? Could it possibly not?
On Friday night, I attended a large caleidh. You should have been there: young folks and old folks, Scots and non-Scots, came together to do coordinated dances, eat delicious stovies, and spend time with each other (all while supporting a good cause). It was completely amazing, and no amount of online dancing (do they have that?) could ever replace it.
These are the types of things that will bring us together, but they are too few and far between. The social coordinator is going to have tons of work to do.
PS: We can't let newspapers die. Sitting at a table with a cup of coffee and the newspaper is morning bliss, and a practice that I have followed since I was just a teen. If you are a fan, write to your favorite newspaper and tell them to charge for online content. Why should good journalism be free?
PPS: Is it silly to write a blog post on my computer about how we need to save newspapers and stop people from spending too much time on computers/tv? I think so.
I’ve moved to redjotter.com
10 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment